Monday, November 9, 2009

Addressing my problem...

I had the privilege of going to court today. Thirty days ago I foolishly trusted another driver to make a left turn because he had his left blinky light signal blinking and appeared from my vantage point to be slowing to turn left. This maneuver would have put his vehicle out of my path as I was going to cross the street and make my own left turn and be clear of the space he would occupy as he was making his left turn. The little feller fooled me, however, and was planning a left turn for later in the day and was making sure his signal light was warmed up and working properly. I was completely stopped when he crashed into the driver's door of my car in his 2009 Nissan Z-whatever-number-they're-up to-now (audible turn signals not included) sporty car. This part is NOT funny as he was stunned and possibly injured by the deploying air bag. The paramedic on the scene assured me that he was OK but they did transport him to the hospital just to be sure. Anyway, that's not why I called.

The police officer issued me a citation for "failure to yield" after I explained the events leading up to the collision including the left turn that wasn't. He stated that the other driver lived on down the street and probably wouldn't be turning left there cause, you know, he lived on down a ways and all. I accepted my citation and his reasoning because I had just been t-boned and was a little disoriented having almost spilled my Diet Mountain Dew and been killed. I did the online driving school to prevent "points" from being assessed against my license and went down to the DMV to pay my fine only to discover that I had been assigned a court date and Didn't I know that? No was my reply and she (the DMV lady) said, yes, the officer made a mistake on your citation and that automatically means you have to go to court and you didn't get the notice BECAUSE he wrote down your street number and the name of the other driver's street. I was stunned to realize that the officer didn't even know where the other driver lived but had also charged me with a statute violation that didn't match the accident description. I know what you're thinking, curioser and curioser.

Anyway I went to court today and when I was called the judge said "Mr. LeBlanc you are charged with...I have no idea what you are charged with, case dismissed" and did I mention that I believe in God?

1 comment:

  1. I love it when that happens! Now, since you took the defensive driving course, you should be able to get a discount on your car insurance, too. Win. Win.

    ReplyDelete