Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Life in Progress

Posted by Mark A. LeBlanc on Aug 22, 2009 with No Comments
in Uncategorized

The Cynic Project

I just had a glimpse into my former life today. A forty-something man of my acquaintance was exhibiting the type of cynicism and doubtful nature that used to be my stock in trade. Is there a God, a heaven, a hell, a mortal consequence for a faithless life? I don’t argue these points anymore. I spent years searching for proof and only found it when I gave up and prayed for faith. I merely decided that there was nothing to lose by praying because I had already lost it all living a life of self will.

I don’t offer my life experience as proof of a higher power because a true cynic is unshakable in their doubt. What I can offer is incontrovertible proof that my life got better when I began to develop a spiritual approach to solving my problems. I can’t prove to someone else that the results aren’t a coincidence, that they are the result of God working in my life. And in the end if your life only gets better because of the way you approach it, that the results you get are only due to your internal attitude changes, are they any less important or valuable? If you endeavor to lead a Godly life and your only reward is a better life on Earth, what have you lost?

To be clear, I believe in the God of the Bible, that He made me a thinking being to reflect on his word and gave me free will to try and live his word. I sin, I fail, but I continue to strive. A wise man once said that the Bible contains the Golden Rule and a whole lot of commentary. That’s simple enough for me to understand and some days that’s all I can manage. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment